The Warrior Word

Filed under Features

Listen to your elders

Seniors share helpful advice for underclassmen

As graduation draws closer for the class of 2018, seniors find themselves nearing the end of their high school experience. Senior kidnappings are in the process of taking place, and banners of senior athletes dangle from the ceiling in the commons. Even with their days of high school coming to a close however, many of the seniors have not forgotten the underclassmen, and many of them are happy to give parting advice to the classes that follow them.

To begin, grades are a subject many students focus on. On the topic of maintaining good grades, a group of Seniors gave multiple options for doing so. “Always turn in your work,” Vincent Wolk said. “You get paid with grades.”

“Form study groups. They are very useful, especially in honors and AP classes,” Brooke Webb said. Besides this, organization is also important to maintaining good grades.

“I would always get a planer. One hundred percent a planner or some sort of calendar. Don’t procrastinate especially in AP classes or honors in general,” Matthew Paszkiewicz said.

“Stay organized,” Madison Plaszczyk said, “study, use your time wisely, and find a good way to manage time.” In addition to staying organized, Plaszczyk talked about useful resources for classes. “I use Khan Academy a lot for math, ask teachers for help, and use Quizlet.”

Additionally, what if a student’s grade had dropped? “I would recommend getting it back up because you need a good GPA for college,” Wolk said. So, in order to raise a grade, seniors agree that students can do a couple of things.

“Talk to your teachers, and form a plan for how to help your grades increase. Go to tutoring and get friends to help you study,” Webb said.

“I would definitely talk to my teachers and see what I can do, if I can stay after for tutoring, or I can talk to a friend who’s doing well in the class,” Paszkiewicz said, agreeing.

What if procrastination is an issue? On the topic of procrastination, some seniors disagree. “It’s very bad because writing a seven page essay the night before it is due is awful,” Webb said, suggesting that students try to avoid procrastination. Wolk on the other hand, had a different perspective of procrastination,

“Procrastination is good because at the end, you will do your best work,” Wolk said.

Enjoy the ride. It goes faster than you think it will.”

— Matthew Paszkiewicz

Besides grades, preparing for college is an additional topic among many students, particularly the juniors and seniors. “I would completely recommend AP and dual credit courses. Even if you don’t sign up for dual credit or take the AP test it helps you prepare for college and it helps your GPA,” Webb said. Plaszczyk agreed with Webb.

“Yes, definitely. Especially if you don’t feel challenged in the basic classes. It’s always good to have that experience,” Plaszczyk said after being asked if she would recommend AP and dual credit courses.

“It not only prepares you for college, it gives you credit for college classes,” Paszkiewicz said, adding another benefit of AP and dual credit.

Although students do get credit for colleges with AP and dual credit classes, many will still be attending college outside of high school. When should students start applying? “Not the day before the deadline. Look junior year and start applying the fall of senior year,” Plaszczyk said. Webb and Wolk agreed that senior year is mostly the best time to apply to the colleges a student is interested in.

“Over the summer before senior year so you have a better shot at scholarships,” Paszkiewicz said. Additionally, Paszkiewicz added resources that he would recommend to find scholarships. “The Naviance website really helped, as well as asking my counselors. Teachers also have links to some scholarships they know sometimes,” he said.

Rather than just talking about grades and college readiness, the seniors also recommended classes that they thought were fun or helpful. “Zoology,” Plaszczyk said, “anatomy is fun, AP psych, government is a great class, and AP stats.” Wolk suggested Wood Tech.

“Digital Media classes. I would definitely take Honors Chemistry. It is challenging but Mrs. Greene is an amazing teacher. I would also recommend any history class because I personally love history,” Paszkiewicz said.

Finally, the seniors gave their final advice to their fellow classmates. “Enjoy the ride,” Paszkiewicz said, “it goes faster than you think it will. I still remember freshman year like it was yesterday. Also, be socially active and don’t be scared to ask for help.”

“Don’t spend all your time with drama. It’ll waste your time when you could be with friends or doing homework you aren’t procrastinating on,” Webb said.

“‘Do or do not, there is no try’ from Yoda,” Wolk said as a last piece of advice for fellow students.