The Warrior Word

Boys Winter Sports: Basketball and Wrestling Coaches

Jacob Gross, Staff Writer

The two head coaches for boys’ winter sports are Amond Prater (Wrestling) and Mike Wilken (Basketball). Wrestling is an individual sport so in a sense, there are not too many role players. Coach Prater’s role for the off-season is to try and get his athletes motivate and better whether it’s lifting weights, trying out for a national team or even attending camps during the offseason. He expects his seniors to lead by example and have a group who is willing to make good decisions on and off the mat. He has created a lot of opportunities for his athletes to grow mentally and physically stronger.

However, he would not ask his athletes to do anything that he has not done in his wrestling career and would like to show them he is willing to compete right alongside them in a lot of the things his athletes do during practice. As a coach, his strength is being an effective communicator and his weakness is never being too organized. Therefore, the wrestling team has the ability to win more duels than last season and place higher at tournaments, but he really wants to make sure that the team is performing off the mat in the classroom and on the mat as a family.

Michael Wilken is the other head coach. Basketball is a team sport which allows everyone to participate. Coach Wilken’s main role in the off-season is to prepare the players mentally and physically for the upcoming year. We do this by utilizing conditioning and drills during the summer. Preseason is important to create motivation in the program.  He believes it’s important for the players to find ways to motivate themselves. At the end of the day, the main motivation for daily practice is the benefit of playing as a team, being there for their teammates and winning basketball games.

He believes that his strength is bringing the best out in players. He enjoys seeing them have success as a student in the classroom and as a player on the court. He believes coaches can always improve their skills and tries to learn as often as possible from other coaches and mentors that he has worked with throughout the years. He is extremely excited for the upcoming season. The team has a strong senior core returning this year that will be joined by an exciting junior class and should be a fun year for Warrior basketball.