The Warrior Word

President’s Day

Jacob Gross, Staff Writer

Presidents’ Day is an American holiday celebrated on the third Monday in February. Originally established in 1885 in recognition of President George Washington. President’s Day is still officially called “Washington’s Birthday” by the federal government. All 50 states do celebrate President’s Day traditionally.  February 22, Washington’s actual day of birth, became popularly known as President’s Day after it was moved as part of 1971’s Uniform Monday Holiday Act in an attempt to create more three-day weekends for the nation’s workers.

While several states still have individual holidays honoring the birthdays of Washington, Abraham Lincoln and other figures, President’s Day is now popularly viewed as a day to celebrate all U.S. Presidents past and present. Some states pay particular attention to Abraham Lincoln, as his birthday was also in mid-February. However, Indiana observes the Washington’s birthday holiday in December. In the weeks or days leading up to the holiday, schools often organize events and lessons for students about the Presidents of the United States and George Washington in particular. It is a popular day for stores to start their sales. Many businesses are open as usual and many stores hold sales on Washington’s Birthday. Many delivery services, except for the Post Office, have a regular service and many, but not all, public transit systems operate on regular schedules.

Overall, President’s Day is an American holiday that is celebrated on the third  Monday in February. Personally, I think this is a good holiday to recognize to see who George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and the other President were and what they accomplished as President.