The Warrior Word

Block scheduling proposed for next school year beneficial for student body

A.J. Aumann, Staff Writer

As I’m sure many of you have heard, the school might be switching to block scheduling next year. I believe this would be beneficial to the student body. Schools that implement block scheduling have consistently shown academic improvement. Students will follow and A/B schedule, which means they will take four classes on one day and four different classes the next.

Some students are worried about how absences will be affected, but Head Principal Ryan Sherp assures that they won’t be an issue. “One of the classes will be an Academic Lab where there will be time for students to get help,” Sherp said. If a student misses a day, they can catch up on what they missed and get the homework during this class. The attendance policy of missing 10 classes before possibly losing the credit will still remain in place. The times that school is in session will also remain the same as previous years.

Another concern for students has been the long class periods being boring. To keep classes interesting, teachers can use several different types of learning within the same lesson and get students more involved. The longer class period also allows for more in-depth learning by the students and gives time for them to ask any questions they might have. Sherp wanted to assure students that their experiences with block scheduling during EOC exam times is not what the classes will be like. “A lot of our teachers during that time frame don’t teach as much as they normally would because they know students are taking multiple tests,” Sherp said.

They have also accounted for students who go to Jefferson College for half-days at the Area Technical School or in the CAP program. “Jefferson College is already in the process of working with us in terms of adjusting their schedule,” Sherp said.

1 Comment

One Response to “Block scheduling proposed for next school year beneficial for student body”

1. Kyra Eswaran on October 18th, 2017 1:38 pm

Guau- you have some great points!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The Student Voice of FHS