The Warrior Word

Benefits of block scheduling proposed for next year minimal

Kyra Eswaran, Staff Writer

Block scheduling has taken the country by storm with more districts switching to the schedule each year. Fox is no exception to this with staff and administrators working tirelessly to prepare to present a block schedule to the school board that would go into effect next school year.

There are many variations of a block schedule, but the schedule that is being proposed to the school board consists of four blocks each day, with each block lasting for ninety minutes.

While block scheduling is more advantageous to teachers by allowing them more time to plan, the advantages for students are minimal. With class periods that last ninety minutes, it will be harder for students to concentrate and stay focused in class. Let’s face it: it’s difficult to keep kids engaged for fifty minutes as it is–how will this affect students ability to stay focused for almost twice the amount of time?

Another disadvantage to block scheduling is the absence policy. Longer class periods means more curriculum covered in classes, and so if a student misses a day of classes, they’re going to have more trouble making up the work from when they missed.

Even though block scheduling doesn’t feel like a great schedule to use, it isn’t the end of the world. More research is needed to really decide whether this new schedule is advantageous to all parties. “There really isn’t a perfect schedule,” head principal Dr. Ryan Sherp said.

1 Comment

One Response to “Benefits of block scheduling proposed for next year minimal”

1. Alyssa Aumann on October 18th, 2017 1:39 pm

You did a good job! I love the way you wrote.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The Student Voice of FHS