Fox’s New Faces: Ms. Brianna Wolk

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fox’s New Faces: Ms. Brianna Wolk

Cassidy Waigand, Staff Writer

Brianna Wolk is halfway through her first year of teaching College Prep Geometry, Geometry, and Algebra 2B at Fox High School. After receiving the A+ Scholarship, Wolk said she attended Jefferson College for two years and then went to Missouri State University. While there, she majored in secondary education, focusing on mathematics.

While this is Wolk’s first year at Fox High School, she has taught at another school in the past. “This is my third-year teaching overall,” she said “I was at Poplar Bluff for the previous two years.” So far though, she enjoys her first year at Fox. “It’s gone by really fast so far, so I don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing, but I like it a lot,” she said.

Wolk said that her favorite part of teaching math in general is that “every so often there is always a kid that walks in that says, ‘I don’t like math. I’ve never been good at math’ and I get to change that kid’s mind, and I think that’s really cool.” The hardest aspect of her job though, “would probably be trying to help the unmotivated students that I really want to help, but they don’t really care.”

Overall though, Wolk’s favorite thing about Fox is the people she works with. “The math department is great. We collaborate a lot. We share with each other a lot, and I definitely don’t feel like I’m in this alone because I can just go next door, or down the hall and ask one of my colleagues, ‘hey what do you think about this’ and it’s just a really great thing.”

At the end of the year, Wolk hopes that her students learn “that if they don’t get it on the first try to not just stop trying. I want them to realize that it’s okay if they make mistakes on the first try and it’s okay if they make mistakes on the second try. Just keep going because you can eventually get it.”