Marketplace Mania

Amy Endicott and the Letterman’s club tons of work into preparing for the spring marketplace to ensure it all went smoothly.

Cassidy Waigand, Staff Writer

Amy Endicott and the Letterman’s Club prepared in various ways for the Spring Marketplace, which was held on March tenth and eleventh. The event went from 9:00am to 4:00pm on Saturday, March 10, 2017, and from 10:00am to 3:00pm on Sunday, March 11, 2017.

There were a mix of direct sales and handmade items sold by over 100 vendors at the Marketplace. “[W]e have some very unique crafters, some really amazing inexpensive pottery, and a bunch of hand sewn items. It’s going to be a good variety.” Endicott said.

To give an example of the number of vendors, as well as the variety of goods available, she said, “If you want jewelry come, because it will range from every possible price range, and every style, and every bit of uniqueness.”

In order to host the craft fair, Endicott and the letterman’s club must put an enormous amount of work into preparations. One step in the process is for vendors to fill out and send in applications to Endicott. “They just press the link. They can print out the application. Most people either mail it into me with a check or most people will email me first to make sure it’s something they can be a part of,” Endicott said. She added that she received many emails months before the Marketplace, but as the date approached, she began to receive many more.

Besides this, Endicott also had to work on filling the last of the spaces available. This task, however, proved to be slightly difficult because Oakville was having a craft fair the same weekend, and Lindbergh had one the weekend after. “[N]ormally they’re not on the same as us, but it just so happened that every once in awhile this happens. So some of our people that we see every single year, they’re trying to go between Fox and Lindbergh,” Endicott said.

Other than getting applications and filling in the last minute seats, Endicott listed multiple other tasks she and the Letterman’s club had to complete. “Well I have to send out welcome letters. I have to make sure that it’s the kind of product we want to sell at the craft fair. I have to make sure that they know they have to have certain permits and stuff like that. I have to get a permit just to have the event. I have to have letterman’s club set up with tarps and taping down the different spots and we have to remove all of the benches and soda machines and everything from the commons. We have to, there’s just so much that goes into it. I have to be there every second that every vendor is there because I’m there if they need anything. I have to set up the book. I have this huge book that is my master book with all of their applications by their seat,” she said.

All the hard work goes to a good cause though. Endicott explained that the fees the vendors pay go to the Parents Club, and that they use the money to do things like fund clubs, make improvements to the school, give students scholarships, and give money for teacher appreciation week. She also said the the Letterman’s club uses some of that money for their Christmas wish drive. In the end, she said, “[I]t all goes to a good cause.”