The Warrior Word

Dodgeball for donations

NHS will be collecting money for children in need through their upcoming dodgeball tournament.

Cassidy Waigand, Staff Writer

National Honor Society will be sponsoring a dodgeball tournament on April 17, 2018, in order to raise money for the Make A Wish foundation.

The tournament will cost $5 per person and NHS sponsor Chelsea Boyd said there will be “no more than twenty teams. So the first twenty teams to sign up.” Along with this, the teams can only be made up of Fox students, because participants will “need a physical and their ID,” she said.

In order to get ready for the event “they are organizing the teams, collecting the money, making sure everyone has their physicals, and things like that,” Boyd said.

National Honor Society expects the tournament to last for a few hours, but overall, “they expect to be out of there before nine,” Boyd said. To do this, they will be utilizing both the big gym and the little gym. “So if it’s twenty teams, it’ll be ten games, and then it will kind of be like a bracket system so you’ll play a team and then move onto the next round.”

Along with this, Boyd said, “The team that wins will get their money back but then they will play a teacher team at the end of the night.”

Teams that do play are expected to turn in their physicals and have parent permission. Besides this, Boyd says that students have “to live up to the Fox standards. So no foul language, no putting people down.”

Overall, the tournament is to raise money for Make A Wish, while giving students the opportunity to have fun while helping those in need.

Make A Wish strives to brighten critically ill children’s lives by helping them fulfill their wish. Some children go to Disney World, others want to be pilots, while others want to give back and help others. Whatever the wish, Make A Wish helps fulfill it. Students who are unable to compete in the tournament can still make a difference by going to this link. People can donate, help with fundraising, or become a sponsor or volunteer.