The Warrior Word

Filed under News

Bringing home the bronze

Winter Guard won a bronze medal for their performance of Fragile Love on April 7, 2018, at the MCCGA Circuit Championships in Springfield, Missouri.

Their final performance at Fox took place in the main gym on April 4, 2018, at 8:00 p.m. Getting ready for the final Send-Off Show, as well as preparing for championships, took much planning and practice.

Before the Winter Guard could begin perfecting their routine, they had to decide what songs to perform. Color Guard director Brittany Tate worked on the concept of the performance with choreographer Zachary Barber. “We thought it would be a neat concept to do a show about sad, lonely dolls. Most shows that are about dolls are about scary, creepy dolls and we didn’t like that idea,” Tate said.

Preparation for championships is all about detailing and repetition.”

— Brittany Tate

Once the song was decided, Tate again worked with Barber. Barber helped “with the artistic design of the show and to write some choreography for the show. We talked about what we see when we think of the show concept and how the song makes us feel to come up with choreo,” Tate said.

Planning, however, was only part of what it took to prepare for championships. Winter guard meets from 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm every Monday and Wednesday for practice. There are also 4 weekend camps that meet on Saturdays from 10:00 am to 7:00 pm. “Preparation for championships is all about detailing and repetition,” Tate said.

Winter Guard had been in three competitions before the MCCGA Circuit Championships. They placed fourth at their January 27 competition at Mascoutah High School as well as their March 24 competition at Francis Howell North High School. Winter Guard was also awarded sixth place at a March 10 competition at O’Fallon Township High School.

With tryouts at the end of April for the 2018-2019 Fall Color Guard, Tate said she, “would encourage anyone to try out for color guard.” She added that joining Color Guard would be a rewarding activity that will allow students to be with friends while learning new skills. “This year’s guard is made up of 17 smart, funny, hard-working, and self-disciplined students. We would love to add you to our family. You do no have to have any previous experience,” Tate said.