The Warrior Word

Sweet Stands

While standing behind their lemonade stands, seniors Mason Young and Natalie Goodheart are all smiles as they help a customer.

Elissa Kratz

Elissa Kratz

Elissa Kratz, Staff Reporter

August 30th, 2018 was a day long anticipated for many DECA students, an organization that is involved with marketing classes. It was the day where they would take all of their hard work and effort and showcase it to our school at lunch. It was time for DECA students to present and possibly profit from their much-awaited lemonade stands.

The cafeteria was bustling with energy as students were excitedly rushing to pick out which lemonade stands they would buy from. Seven lemonade stands created by students were trying to win their peers’ favor as they called out to the student body with loud music, lively costuming, and unique themes. There was much at stake for the makers of the seven lemonade stands in the commons, as the team who won would bring home their profits.

Senior Heather Burris from Dog Days Lemonade said, “We promoted ours by doing dogs coming up to the school and if you buy our lemonade you get to go pet the dogs.” This was one of the reasons why she thought her lemonade stand was the best.

Many lemonade stands included promotions and deals to draw more people into buying their products.

Senior Brianna Craig from Not Your Mama’s Lemonade said some business moves and strategies made by her team included promotions such as pieing a teacher and pre-selling lemonade for 50 cents.

Students also tried to win their peers’ favor by offering entry into a raffle basket if they bought a certain amount of lemonade.  Many students put up flyers for their lemonade stands to advertise as a business move to spread one clear message: buy our lemonade.

“All athletes get 50% off here,” senior Alex Bruns said when asked what preparations were made to ensure that his team’s Game Day Lemonade would be the winner.

Along with many deals and promotions to entice their peers to buy their lemonade, teams created unique themes for their lemonade stands. From a Halloween themed stand to throwback pictures of Fox High’s own teachers, many students put their own fun twist on lemonade.

When asked where the idea for their rainbow themed lemonade stand came from, senior Kyle Kamp said, “We came up with the idea, we were just thinking for a little bit, and we just decided to think about rainbows for some reason.”

Theme and decorations are crucial in the attraction to purchase products or at least take a closer look at what a business has to offer. Velocity Merchant Services (VMS) is a group that teaches good ideas and values in the business world for small businesses. In the VMS article “The Crucial Importance of a Business’ Curb Appeal” it was stated that “[o]ne local study found that 70 percent of first-time sales were based on curb appeal…” So it was clear that the importance of decor was immense and could’ve played a role in overall sales.

Mrs. Breznay said that the idea for students to start their own lemonade stands came from Donald Trump’s “The Apprentice” in which the first challenge was creating a lemonade stand.

Creating businesses like these could help young entrepreneurs get a head start into the world of business. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, the most popular undergraduate bachelor degree in the 15-16 school year was the business degree at 325,000 graduates, and this number is only growing.

Although there are many leadership and business skills to learn from the creation of DECA’s lemonade stands, it was still a friendly competition amongst the students.

It gets everybody to open up, like you come in and you’re so shy and everything and then doing things like the lemonade stand just makes you branch out… it’s so fun and such a great time,” senior Destiny Fisher said when asked what the benefits of taking a class like DECA inside and outside of school.

“[DECA is] a group of marketing students who get together… we’re very competitive… we do things like advertising which is probably what you are most familiar with, but we talk about distribution, getting your products out to the people, pricing, marketing research,” Mrs. Amanda Breznay, the DECA and marketing teacher, said when asked what the program was.

Students must be at least a junior to join DECA, but freshman and sophomores can start planning to get involved now.  “We want to have a junior marketing program and we get started on it and we’re so busy as a junior and senior program that I struggle finding time in my schedule to be able to incorporate more freshman and sophomore activities. You do in order to be a national DECA member have to be in a marketing class, which we don’t have any currently that are freshman and sophomore level. Although, business management can do that, so if someone is interested as a freshman and sophomore in being apart of this really competitive, exciting group they should add business management and entrepreneurship to their schedule next year for their freshman or sophomore year,” Mrs. Breznay said.

And so, the winner of the DECA lemonade stands was crowned. Spooky and Sweet Lemonade came out victorious and got to take home all of their profits. Although the lemonade stands are over, you can still make the winning lemonade at home (see sidebox).

Sources: http://insight.getvms.com/curb-appeal

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_cta.asp

1 Comment

One Response to “Sweet Stands”

1. Mrs Breznay on September 20th, 2018 3:07 pm

What a well written and thoughtful article! Thank you for showcasing our amazing program!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Sweet Stands

Sports

Sprinting to state

• Sweet Stands

News

Industrial Arts State Competition

• Sweet Stands

News

A march with many sides

• Arts & Entertainment

FOX ART SHOW! 2018

• Sweet Stands

Arts & Entertainment

Huff advances to finals of St. Louis Teen Talent Competition

• Sweet Stands

News

Student versus staff basketball game

• Sweet Stands

Features

Fox’s new faces: Stephanie Dakin

• Sweet Stands

Features

Senior Spotlight: Jessica Wynn

• Sweet Stands

Features

Fox’s New Faces

• Sweet Stands

Opinion

The thing about class rings

The Student Voice of FHS
Sweet Stands