The deal with homecoming court

Kathryn Rorie, Staff Writer

It is the week of homecoming. Many events are taking place such as spirit week and the pep rally occurring on Friday, September 21. However, lots of the talk is focused on homecoming court.

Homecoming started after colleges had alumni return to a home game. It was probably called homecoming because of the definition, which is an instance of returning home. Many dances, rallies, and parades have commonly been placed the week of homecoming. There is typically a homecoming court, which sometimes consists of a king, queen, prince, princess, duke, and duchess, all elected by a vote of the students.

Students have always had differing opinions about court. Many students like the aspects of court, though a lot of the time court is considered to be a popularity contest.

“It depends,” freshman Brooke Wilson said about court being a popularity contest, “A lot of the girls nominated are more of the ‘popular’ girls. But it’s not like a bragging thing.”

“Kind of,” junior Madi Keisker said. “But that’s what makes it fun I guess.”

However, neither of them seem to overly bothered that it can be that way.

“[Court] is just whoever get the most votes wins, “ Keisker said. “If you’re out there and get to know people, you deserve to win.”

“I feel like people think they have to become like homecoming queen in order to be popular,” Wilson said.

They both like that we have a homecoming court.

“I think it is a fun twist to the dance,” Wilson said. “There’s something to look forward to.”

Keisker agrees.

“It makes homecoming more fun and something to look forward to,” Keisker said.

However, they slightly disagree on court’s importance to the dance.

“Yes [it is important] because I’ve never really heard of a homecoming without a homecoming court,” Wilson said.

“No. [Court’s] not that important, but still fun,” Keisker said.

They also have different views on the effects it can have on a student’s self-esteem if the student doesn’t win.

“I don’t think that people take it that seriously,” Keisker said. “It is something little.”

“If it is that important to them, they may feel like they’re not good enough,” Wilson said. “But it honestly shouldn’t feel like it matters.”

Keisker said it is a somewhat fun part of the homecoming celebration. Wilson agrees.

“It’s always kind of funny to see somebody’s reaction if they win,” Wilson said.

They both agree that students can get wrapped up in court, but it doesn’t often get overwhelming.

They also both agree that there are some downsides to having court.

“Probably that only ‘popular’ people get picked, and not somebody else,” Wilson said.

“It takes away from the actual dance,” Keisker said.

Wilson said her opinion probably wouldn’t change if she were to be on court, while Keisker says hers might and she probably wouldn’t love being on court.

They have different views on how students would feel of they were elected and didn’t want to be.

“If you are nominated and win, you don’t have to accept it, you can turn it down,” Keisker said.

“It depends,” Wilson said. “They don’t see themselves the way all people see them.”

Keisker said nobody has really advocated that they want to be voted for, but Wilson disagrees.

“I’ve had at least five girls come up to me and ask me to vote for them,” Wilson said.

They both agreed that anybody being allowed to be nominated was a good thing.

“It gives everybody an equal opportunity,” Keisker said.