The Warrior Word

Golfing Glory

Elissa Kratz, Staff Reporter

Girls Golf districts were in full swing on Monday, October 1, 2018 as people swung away for a shot to become district champions. When the varsity girls golf team heard their name called for first place, emotions were running high.

“I was excited and really, really happy,” junior Siiri Behkonen said.

The win was extra special as it was the varsity girls golf team’s first district win in the history of the program.

“We have a mature, composed bunch of girls who were more consistent than in years past,” coach Steven Boyd said. “In years past we’ve been kind of up and down, but with our seniors and the experience we have we’ve been able to do well throughout the season.”

Winning districts an amazing victory for the girls as well.

“Being able to win it was kind of like, oh, like we’re actually good, we’re better team-wise than everyone else that we competed against,” senior Sydney Young said. “We competed against private schools. Ursuline we beat. Private schools are usually way better. Beating them it’s like, wow, we’re actually good.”

After a winning score of 358, the season of girls golf is not yet over for the varsity team. The girls competed in sectionals on Monday, October 8, with only a week to prep after the district win.

“Just practice… tell myself not to get nervous because that’s when I mess up,” senior Cassie Buchanan said.

Golf isn’t only about the competitions; it’s also about branching out and meeting new people.

“I like my teammates a lot,” senior Macyn Young said. “I’m friends with them outside of golf, so it’s really easy to be around them for this amount of time.”

Coach Boyd has over a decade of experience with coaching golf and said that anyone who would like to join the golf team should come see him in room 208.

“We get together on Tuesdays and Thursdays over the summer, we play 9 holes and we go to the driving range and get to know each other and work on our game,” Coach Boyd said.

This season was full of many firsts for the varsity girls golf team as they placed second at sectionals, putting them on the road to state where they placed fifth.