The Great Gatsby a Homecoming hit

Over 1000 students attended Homecoming September 23, 2017

Connor Frisch

Homecoming 2017 King and Queen Mitchell Williams and Abby Street.

Students attended the Homecoming dance on September 23, 2017 to celebrate the beginning of a new school year. This Great Gatsby themed dance was attended by over a thousand students from Fox High School, and a handful of these students won court. For the seniors, the titles of king and queen were awarded to Mitchell Williams and Abby Street, while Luke Joggerst and Alicia Alcazar were the junior homecoming prince and princess. Rayna Stange and Connor Frisch were the homecoming duchess and duke for the sophomore class, and Matty Faingold  and Ryleigh Willenbrock gained the titles of homecoming baron and baroness.

Besides designating the winners of the Homecoming court, many of the students also enjoyed the dancing and concessions. “It was fun. I liked it,” said Alexandria Joggerst, junior. Other students did not care for Homecoming as much.  “It was fun, but the music was annoying,” said junior Emily Hoeing.

What was your favorite part of Homecoming?

• Being with friends! (59%, 10 Votes)
  • Dressing up! (18%, 3 Votes)
  • Homecoming Court! (12%, 2 Votes)
  • The dancing! (6%, 1 Votes)
  • The decorations! (6%, 1 Votes)
  • The music! (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 17

Loading ... Loading ...

Whether the students liked or disliked the dance, however, the Student Council still worked hard on making Homecoming as perfect as they possibly could. To start the process of preparing for the dance, the Student Council had to choose a theme. “Stuco put us into committees and we sat at the dry erase board in the library writing ideas, and a poll and then we decided the theme for this year,” said junior Calla Howard. After the theme of the 2017 Homecoming dance had been selected, the Student Council then had to begin creating and buying decorations. Howard said, “We start painting in June. We go to the store and get balloons and centerpieces, but it’s mostly painting.” Senior Allison Livorsi said that they also “have to cover the vending machines. So, there’s decorations for that.”  The Student Council also did their best to make sure the night went smoothly. “We have to get a lot of teacher chaperones, and people to take care of the coat check, concessions, and just check that everything is going okay,” Howard said.

After all of the Student Council’s planning for this year’s dance, students had mostly positive views of the theme. “I like it,” said freshman Madison Maes. Jason Stepan, Jr., sophomore, said, “I haven’t heard much about it besides from my friend Molly, and she has good taste. So, I think it’ll be cool.” Unlike Maes and Stepan, Alexis Samatmanivong, senior thought, “[I]t’s stereotypical for a high school, kind of predictable.”  Nikolai Pominov, senior, had a different opinion of the theme, “It’s classic. Great Gatsby is a classic.”