Gay-Straight Alliance Hosts Ally Week

Back to Article
Back to Article

Gay-Straight Alliance Hosts Ally Week

The bulletin board in back hall advertising the colors for the Ally Spirit Week.

A.J. Aumann

A.J. Aumann

A.J. Aumann

A.J. Aumann, Staff Writer

The week of September 25, 2017, Fox High’s Gay-Straight Alliance had a spirit week to support Ally Week. Ally Week, started by the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network (GLSEN), is intended to spark conversations about how to help LGBT+ kids in schools. “Ally Week is about supporting and thanking the people who support our community,”  GSA president and senior Regan Crisler said.

For the spirit days, students were asked to wear a color of the rainbow on each day. There were posters in the back hallway listing what color to wear on which day, but the poster for Friday was torn down. They were able to replace the poster on September 28, 2017.

According to the GLSEN 2015 National School Climate Survey, more than half of the LGBT+ students surveyed felt unsafe at school because of their sexual orientation. Almost half said they felt unsafe because of their gender expression. Those who participate in Ally Week may help students feel more comfortable in their own school, lowering these statistics. According to the GLSEN survey, “LGBTQ students who experienced higher levels of victimization because of their sexual orientation had lower grade point averages (GPAs) than students who were less often harassed”. Both participating in Ally Week and being an ally helps LGBT+ students feel safe, which helps the school’s academic standings.

“I think Ally Week is important because people think that GSA is just about LGBT+ issues, but it’s also about recognizing the community that supports us,” Crisler said. The Gay-Straight Alliance meets every week on Thursday at 2:30 in Room 702 to talk about support and other community issues.